Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wikipedia Principle (II)

I have run into a problem. My reliance on Wikipedia for answers to all of my questions, has run into a snag.

Here is the Wikipedia explanation of the use of XOXO as communicative short-form:

"Hugs and Kisses is a term for a sequence of the letters X and O, e.g. XOXO, typically used to express affection or good friendship at the end of a written letter or email.

It is debatable which letter represents which act. Some interpret X as the crossed arms of a hug and O as the puckered lips of a kiss. However, the interpretation assumed in the following, in which X represents the four lips of a kiss and O the four arms of a hug, is more common. For example the Oxford English Dictionary states that X is "used to represent a kiss, esp. in the subscription to a letter."

But in more conventional modern language, the X is most often referred to as a Hug denoted by the way it resembles the form a hug when viewing the hugger. One also notices the similar resemblance of puckered lips to the O which denotes a kiss.

Additionally, there is a more simple interpretation, based on the pronunciation of the letters X (sounds like 'kiss') and O (sounds like 'hold', as in 'I hold you')."

So you can understand my confusion: Is X the hug or the kiss? Ditto for O. I need some guidance, and my faith in Wikipedia is faltering...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands, buddy. More reading for your lectures and beating things as part of your miliary training, less literary 'space walking' on the net.

That being said, it could be my jealousy talking ... I'm clearly not as creative as you.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J,
As far as I'm concerned, the X is for kiss and the O is for hug.
Would you consider any online sources other than wikipedia as your primary source for answers to deep problems such as this? :)
Steph

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home